Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: The England Thread

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    King and Parker both being injured might have had some bearing
    christ what you just conveniently didn't read my other post refering to King or something, plus even if Parker was fit since he has played for England since 2004 he would not have been picked anyway.

dont blaspheme white boy.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas
    i dont understand why Darren Bent wasnt included, he has scroed an awful lot of goals this season in a pretty average side.
    Presumably Sven doesn't think he can cut it against top class defenders.

Also, 7 goals in the last 17 games suggests that he's dipping at the wrong time.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    Funny you mention him - i laughingly told a(nother) Coventry fan that i'd rather have been him picked for England than Walcott - at least he's scored loads of goals in the championship this season.
    The reason I mentioned him is to show how stupid the Johnson selection is.

People have to see past the Hargreaves (only in because of his knowledge of the Munich nightlife) selection and look at the good points:

No SWP.
    No Kieron Richardson.
    Only 1 Neville.
    No Heskey.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Just found this on the Beeb's website:

'Eriksson yet to see Walcott play
    England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has admitted he picked Arsenal teenager Theo Walcott for the World Cup despite never having seen him play a match.

"I've seen him perhaps three times in training," said Eriksson. "(At Arsenal training) on Saturday I saw him play 11 against 11 on a half pitch.
    Eriksson said Walcott could play in the injured Wayne Rooney's role, off the main striker, if the Manchester United star does not recover, but said he also planned to use Chelsea's Joe Cole in that position.'
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    So he might be thinking of the Xmas tree formation, or if not Downing on the left in the usual system. Lots of options anyway. I'm not sure Bent is the one, and Defoe hasn't really set the world alight during his eight caps. We can't say this squad is definitive yet at any rate, let's see how Rooney progresses and how Owen does in the three friendlies, there might be a few more twists and turns yet.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

If you took Jenas or Hargreaves out for a 5th striker it would be a good squad.

Walcott is speculative but the sort of crazy thing that could really pay off.

Only taking three other strikers, two under injury clouds and the circus freak is the real problem. Naming 9 mids when Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and probably J.Cole will start everygame barring injury is just crazy.

Except one of the 4 will be playing off the striker, so that automatically needs additional cover.

On the right is Lennon, basically taken for the experience.
    On the left is Downing, more likely to play than Lennon, but also getting experience.
    In the middle is Jenas, as good an option for cover as anyone else.
    The man who knows all things German, Hargreaves is a token selection.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    People have to see past the Hargreaves (only in because of his knowledge of the Munich nightlife) selection and look at the good points:

No SWP.
    No Kieron Richardson.
    Only 1 Neville.
    No Heskey.
    No Skill With Prizes?

They're banning quiz machines?

Shame!!!!!
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    christ what you just conveniently didn't read my other post refering to King or something, plus even if Parker was fit since he has played for England since 2004 he would not have been picked anyway.
    Stop being so touchy, traitorous scum .

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    I guess Hargreaves is in because he can play literally everywhere behind the front two making him the ultimate squad player.
    I thought he knew how to satisfy Sven in ways Ms Alam couldn't
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    So he might be thinking of the Xmas tree formation, or if not Downing on the left in the usual system. Lots of options anyway. I'm not sure Bent is the one, and Defoe hasn't really set the world alight during his eight caps. We can't say this squad is definitive yet at any rate, let's see how Rooney progresses and how Owen does in the three friendlies, there might be a few more twists and turns yet.
    How about:

-----------------------------------------------Robinson----------------------------------------------

------------------ G. Neville ---------- Ferdinand -------- Terry ------------- A. Cole -------------------

----------------------------Carrick --------- Gerrard ---------- Lampard ---------------------------------

--------------------------------Beckham (c) ------------- J. Cole ---------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------- Owen -----------------------------------------------------

I suppose if Rooney is fit he could play in behind Owen, with Beckham taking Carrick's spot?

Can somebody do better?

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    How about:

-----------------------------------------------Robinson----------------------------------------------

------------------ G. Neville ---------- Ferdinand -------- Terry ------------- A. Cole -------------------

----------------------------Carrick --------- Gerrard ---------- Lampard ---------------------------------

--------------------------------Beckham (c) ------------- J. Cole ---------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------- Owen -----------------------------------------------------

I suppose if Rooney is fit he could play in behind Owen, with Beckham taking Carrick's spot?

Can somebody do better?
    Not bad although I'd have Becks on the right, Carrick floating in front of the back four and Gerrard or Lampard having licence to join Cole and Owen. One real positive about all this is Carrick actually fitting into the team, well deserved IMO.

Jersey Joe as super sub for Cole or Owen
    Last edited by Pedro Delgado; 09-05-2006 at 04:09 AM.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    How about:

----------------------------Beckham (c) --------- Carrick ---------- Lampard ---------------------------------

--------------------------------Gerrard ------------- J. Cole ---------------------------------------

Can somebody do better?
    Couple of minor alterations, I think this would work better.
    Last edited by Barney Rubble; 09-05-2006 at 04:18 AM.

Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread Information