• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pedro Delgado said:
Dr Fox:

"It's scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact."
:laugh: You've just reminded me of how funny that was. Richard Blackwood sniffing a keyboard, brilliant. :D

And yeah, it's footballing fact. Rooney's gonna be fit. You'll see. ;)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
in a way, im kind of hoping that he isnt, if theres a chance of him being fit it will turn into a media circus that will be about "wayne", rather than "england", having said that if he can get fit thats obviously a big bonus, but i dont think it will be as huge a blow as so many have speculated if he doesnt make it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Sol was done like a kipper for the Eto'o chance where he hit the post, but I put that down to super play from the African; good players create chances for themselves. Otherwise he did well too aye.
yea i would say so as well, but even though i'm a big Man U fan & u wont find many wanting an arsenal bloke ahead of ours, but its whats best for Englad & for that i would rather Campbell to start with big Terro since of recent Rio tends to laps at the back & which could be costly againts the major sides presuming England go a long way in Germany. Campbell has been superb in England last 2 major international tournaments which should count for something & is a more solid & dependable figure at the back defensively than Ferdinand.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
aussie said:
yea i would say so as well, but even though i'm a big Man U fan & u wont find many wanting an arsenal bloke ahead of ours, but its whats best for Englad & for that i would rather Campbell to start with big Terro since of recent Rio tends to laps at the back & which could be costly againts the major sides presuming England go a long way in Germany. Campbell has been superb in England last 2 major international tournaments which should count for something & is a more solid & dependable figure at the back defensively than Ferdinand.
I dunno, I think Rio has been playing it a lot simpler lately and not been so lackadaisical, I'd stick with him. If he starts fannying about then we've got Carragher or Campbell; it's certainly one area where we're spoiled for choice, along with the midfield. Reminicent of the French sides of '98, although Owen is streets ahead of Guivarch/Dugarry obviously. Let's hope we have similar luck as the French come Germany.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Yes, the usual 'Pele says England will win' kiss of death. Because if Pele, the greatest ever player, says were gonna win, who are the tabloids to argue?

He does this every 4 years. Proof that great players dont always have the best football brains (or indeed any, if Beckham/Rooney are anything to go by)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
Anyone know who's playing in it, other than Owen and Walcott? I've not heard a squad announced.
It'll be the fringe players, so the likes of Hargreaves, Jenas, etc.

Perhaps someone like Andy "useless" Johnson...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
It'll be the fringe players, so the likes of Hargreaves, Jenas, etc.

Perhaps someone like Andy "useless" Johnson...
Is that the fringe players from within the World Cup 23, or a different squad which includes some WC players? I can't find one named anywhere, and if it is the just the WC squad I don't see why they don't call it a full international.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It was originally said that it'd be the players not likely to play much in the other 2 friendlies, but clearly Owen's recovery has made a slight change to that policy.

Can't see anyone outside the 28 playing.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
It was originally said that it'd be the players not likely to play much in the other 2 friendlies, but clearly Owen's recovery has made a slight change to that policy.

Can't see anyone outside the 28 playing.
Fair enough. Should be interesting, especially if Walcott and Owen are up top together as they should be, logically.