• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yeah i must say that i cant see anything wrong with svens selections, its just a few dodgy ones like those two that could backfire...but could be some of the best selections ever.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well it's the most daring selection I've ever seen any England manager make. That doesn't necessarily make it right, but fair play to Svennis; knowing he's off to pastures new has obviously freed his inner gambler. It's a "Hail Mary" from left-field & who saw it coming? Not me for one.

King is the only player who's probably overly unlucky to miss out & I think it's fairly safe to assume he'd have been in there were it not for his metatarsal break.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Well it's the most daring selection I've ever seen any England manager make. That doesn't necessarily make it right, but fair play to Svennis; knowing he's off to pastures new has obviously freed his inner gambler. It's a "Hail Mary" from left-field & who saw it coming? Not me for one.

King is the only player who's probably overly unlucky to miss out & I think it's fairly safe to assume he'd have been in there were it not for his metatarsal break.
Exactly why i'm quite pleased with the selection, King is the only one (and he's injured) and any of the others that might feel unlucky to be left out would only be going along for the ride and not be in contention for game time.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I'm happy overall with the England squad - would have preferred another striker (Defoe) for Hargreaves.

You've got 23 players, so why not take someone like Walcott? No-one has a clue what he's like to play against. Lennon was an almost certainty, I would love to see him play down the right instead of Beckham.

Can you imagine the wealth of attacking talent we're going to have in a few years' time? Rooney, Lennon, Walcott, Downing, Wright-Phillips (will come back and improve), Cole, plus Gerrard and Lampard in the centre.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
King and Parker both being injured might have had some bearing 8-)
christ what you just conveniently didn't read my other post refering to King or something, plus even if Parker was fit since he has played for England since 2004 he would not have been picked anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pothas said:
i dont understand why Darren Bent wasnt included, he has scroed an awful lot of goals this season in a pretty average side.
Presumably Sven doesn't think he can cut it against top class defenders.

Also, 7 goals in the last 17 games suggests that he's dipping at the wrong time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matteh said:
Funny you mention him - i laughingly told a(nother) Coventry fan that i'd rather have been him picked for England than Walcott - at least he's scored loads of goals in the championship this season.
The reason I mentioned him is to show how stupid the Johnson selection is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
People have to see past the Hargreaves (only in because of his knowledge of the Munich nightlife) selection and look at the good points:

No SWP.
No Kieron Richardson.
Only 1 Neville.
No Heskey.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just found this on the Beeb's website:

'Eriksson yet to see Walcott play
England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has admitted he picked Arsenal teenager Theo Walcott for the World Cup despite never having seen him play a match.

"I've seen him perhaps three times in training," said Eriksson. "(At Arsenal training) on Saturday I saw him play 11 against 11 on a half pitch.
Eriksson said Walcott could play in the injured Wayne Rooney's role, off the main striker, if the Manchester United star does not recover, but said he also planned to use Chelsea's Joe Cole in that position.'

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
So he might be thinking of the Xmas tree formation, or if not Downing on the left in the usual system. Lots of options anyway. I'm not sure Bent is the one, and Defoe hasn't really set the world alight during his eight caps. We can't say this squad is definitive yet at any rate, let's see how Rooney progresses and how Owen does in the three friendlies, there might be a few more twists and turns yet.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
If you took Jenas or Hargreaves out for a 5th striker it would be a good squad.

Walcott is speculative but the sort of crazy thing that could really pay off.

Only taking three other strikers, two under injury clouds and the circus freak is the real problem. Naming 9 mids when Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and probably J.Cole will start everygame barring injury is just crazy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Except one of the 4 will be playing off the striker, so that automatically needs additional cover.

On the right is Lennon, basically taken for the experience.
On the left is Downing, more likely to play than Lennon, but also getting experience.
In the middle is Jenas, as good an option for cover as anyone else.
The man who knows all things German, Hargreaves is a token selection.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
People have to see past the Hargreaves (only in because of his knowledge of the Munich nightlife) selection and look at the good points:

No SWP.
No Kieron Richardson.
Only 1 Neville.
No Heskey.
No Skill With Prizes?

They're banning quiz machines?

Shame!!!!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
christ what you just conveniently didn't read my other post refering to King or something, plus even if Parker was fit since he has played for England since 2004 he would not have been picked anyway.
Stop being so touchy, traitorous scum ;).

Craig

World Traveller
Matteh said:
I guess Hargreaves is in because he can play literally everywhere behind the front two making him the ultimate squad player.
I thought he knew how to satisfy Sven in ways Ms Alam couldn't :-O :laugh: :naughty:

Craig

World Traveller
Pedro Delgado said:
So he might be thinking of the Xmas tree formation, or if not Downing on the left in the usual system. Lots of options anyway. I'm not sure Bent is the one, and Defoe hasn't really set the world alight during his eight caps. We can't say this squad is definitive yet at any rate, let's see how Rooney progresses and how Owen does in the three friendlies, there might be a few more twists and turns yet.
How about:

-----------------------------------------------Robinson----------------------------------------------

------------------ G. Neville ---------- Ferdinand -------- Terry ------------- A. Cole -------------------

----------------------------Carrick --------- Gerrard ---------- Lampard ---------------------------------

--------------------------------Beckham (c) ------------- J. Cole ---------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------- Owen -----------------------------------------------------

I suppose if Rooney is fit he could play in behind Owen, with Beckham taking Carrick's spot?

Can somebody do better?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Craig said:
How about:

-----------------------------------------------Robinson----------------------------------------------

------------------ G. Neville ---------- Ferdinand -------- Terry ------------- A. Cole -------------------

----------------------------Carrick --------- Gerrard ---------- Lampard ---------------------------------

--------------------------------Beckham (c) ------------- J. Cole ---------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------- Owen -----------------------------------------------------

I suppose if Rooney is fit he could play in behind Owen, with Beckham taking Carrick's spot?

Can somebody do better?
Not bad although I'd have Becks on the right, Carrick floating in front of the back four and Gerrard or Lampard having licence to join Cole and Owen. One real positive about all this is Carrick actually fitting into the team, well deserved IMO.

Jersey Joe as super sub for Cole or Owen :)

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Craig said:
How about:

----------------------------Beckham (c) --------- Carrick ---------- Lampard ---------------------------------

--------------------------------Gerrard ------------- J. Cole ---------------------------------------

Can somebody do better?
Couple of minor alterations, I think this would work better. :happy:

Last edited: