Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The England Thread

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'm too much of a luddite to know how to do that funny accent-thingy...
    Learn how to press alt + 0225 or go to start, then run and type in "charmap".

And no, the Bullard thing is never happening (no matter how much my dad and stepmum tell me it is ...but what do they know? They're Wiganers), but it's more likely than him playing for England. Which is good for a giggle.
    Last edited by steds; 19-04-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Learn how to press alt + 0225 or go to start, then run and type in "charmap".
    Or press Alt Gr and a at the same time - far easier.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    anyone heard the new song by embrace? its pretty dreadful if you ask me, world in motion it isnt, hell its not even 3 lions ins that bad. Totally insipid as Pothas would say/

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    anyone heard the new song by embrace? its pretty dreadful if you ask me, world in motion it isnt, hell its not even 3 lions ins that bad. Totally insipid as Pothas would say/
    What's it called? Will have to check it out...

World In Motion was quite good but I think 3 Lions '98 was much better!
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloete

World In Motion was quite good but I think 3 Lions '98 was much better!
    World in Motion for me, but 3 Lions is kwality too. Vindaloo deserves a mention as does the largely forgotten, but quite wonderful England's Irie by Black Grape with Keith Allen. Contains the genius lyrics:

Hey diddle-diddle, there's a fella in the middle and I think he's pulling my string
    My wife's lactating and I'm spectating
    It's a football thing
    I live in a land of class hypocracy,
    We're going to win the National Lottery
    E I Adio, I don't think so

Keith Allen wrote the lyrics for World in Motion, Vindaloo & England's Irie. Lesson there, surely....
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

World in Motion for me, but 3 Lions is kwality too. Vindaloo deserves a mention as does the largely forgotten, but quite wonderful England's Irie by Black Grape with Keith Allen. Contains the genius lyrics:

Hey diddle-diddle, there's a fella in the middle and I think he's pulling my string
    My wife's lactating and I'm spectating
    It's a football thing
    I live in a land of class hypocracy,
    We're going to win the National Lottery
    E I Adio, I don't think so

Keith Allen wrote the lyrics for World in Motion, Vindaloo & England's Irie. Lesson there, surely....
    Yeah Vindaloo is quite good

"Me and me mum and me dad and me gran and a bucket of vindaloo. Me and me mum and me dad and me gran we're off to Waterloo..."

World in motion is good but the 3 lions 98 song is more specific to football IMO than the "Loves got the world in motion..." bit of the song. Come to think of it though World In Motion has some quality bits too "We're singing for England (England!), arivadice it's one on one!"

Interestingly, Australia has a reality TV programme on at the moment which is called "The Song For The Socceroos". A couple of the songs are quite good but in general they need to be more "anthemy".

Anyway what's the title of this Embrace song? I'm a pretty big fan of Embrace actually so it can't be too bad.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    i believe its called world at your feet, pretty rubbish if you ask me, its just another drippy, fluffy british attempt at patriotism which has fallen flat on its face.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Totally forgot about Asamoah, but any road I think if you move to a country as a kid it's different to moving there as an adult. Klose & Podolski were both born in Poland, but moved to Germany as children. Makes them German in my book, if that's what they feel inside.
    I was born in Germany but moved to England when i was 3 and i consider myself completely English (except for the being half Australian thing...).
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<Robinson

Neville>>>>>>Terry>>>>>Rio>>>>>>Cole

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>Carrick

>>>>>Beckham>>>Lampard>>>>Gerrard

>>>>>>>>>>>>Cole

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Owen

What do we think then now that it's looking like Rooney could miss out. I have doubts about Crouch starting. With Cole in the hole it enables Carrick to join the midfield in front of the back four, with Lampard and Gerrard getting forward. A.Cole and Neville will get forward when they can as usual, there's no way SGE will drop Becks so I've included him whether I like it or not.

Teams and formations please, people.
    Last edited by Pedro Delgado; 30-04-2006 at 04:45 AM.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<Robinson

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>Carrick

>>>>>>>>>>>>Cole

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Owen

What do we think then now that it's looking like Rooney could miss out. I have doubts about Crouch starting. With Cole in the hole it enables Carrick to join the midfield in front of the back four, with Lampard and Gerrard getting forward. A.Cole and Neville will get forward when they can as usual, there's no way SGE will drop Becks so I've included him whether I like it or not.

That looks a pretty good selection, although would have to make sure that the midfealders get forward or Owen could get isolated. Plus Gerrard stuck out on the left is not ideal. Then again Owen and Defoe together might not work so its a tricky one.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Yeah it is tricky, Defoe has had trouble making the Spurs 11 this season, and SWP is having similar trouble down the King's Road. It's not ideal having Gerrard on the left no, but I'd rather have Lamps in the middle as he's more of a goal threat IMO, and SGE won't play Becks there. Cole is doing very well these days and can do the Rooney job I think just behind Michael.

Anyway, if it was me that's how I'd go until Rooney is ready to come on/play 90 mins.
    Last edited by Pedro Delgado; 30-04-2006 at 05:39 AM.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<Robinson

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>Carrick

>>>>>>>>>>>>Cole

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Owen

That doesn't look too bad.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

<<<<<<<<<<<<<Robinson

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>Carrick

>>>>>>>>>>>>Cole

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Owen

yea it doesn't look bad, but just to be safe if Rooney doesn't make it, what about keeping Cole on the left since i have my doubt about Gerrard there, push Lampard up front since as you rightfully said he brings more of a goal-scoring treat and put Gerrard in between Beckham & Cole in the mid-field & Carrick to do the holding role.

But the fact is i hope Rooney makes it, i think looking at the schedule we should be able to do without him up to the last group game vs Sweden so he can get some time to recover. So that when we get to the 2nd round (yes i'm 100% sure we will qualify), he will be back to his best hopefully.

This is a very interesting but true point Terry Butcher made about Rooney's injury:

``it took Rooney to recover from his previous fractured metatarsal did not bode well.

"When Rooney broke his metatarsal in Euro 2004, it took a long time for him to come back and reach the level of performance he likes to play at - and that Manchester United and England need," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"Also, from a Manchester United point of view, I wouldn't be happy if I was Sir Alex Ferguson, sending out Wayne Rooney to the World Cup in a bid to try and get him fit for England.

"That could backfire and put him out into the new season for Manchester United, so there's lots of other things to think about."

Why couldn't everyone be nice a fit going into the WC, urghhhh

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Robinson

Neville Terry Carragher Cole

Carrick
    Beckham Cole
    Lampard

Gerrard
    Owen

If you're gonna push one of the midfielders up, it should be Gerrard, he has played there plenty of times for Liverpool. Certainly, the last thing anyone wants though is a half-fit Michael Owen partnered by a half-useless Peter Crouch. This World Cup is positively going up in smoke.

Oh and one last point, to hell with Man U, Rooney on one leg is better than Peter Crouch, or Defoe, Bent, Ashton, Matt Le Tissier, whoever, hence why if he doesn't play I think Gerrard is the only player talented enough to try and fill his boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information