• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Oh and the fact that Carragher has been the best defender in England this season, and probably the second best last season, should give him a place in the team ahead of Ferdinand. It probably won't, but there you go, that's my opinion
John Terry is a superior player to Carragher. Charragher is far more reliable than Ferdinand though that is true

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Okay, my error with the "stupid" comment

Still, I don't think a team with Gerrard, Lampard, Joe Cole, and Michael Owen is playing for a nil-nil.

Gerrard and Crouch play for the same team, and Gerrard has about twice as many goals as Crouch does this season

Gerrard's goals come from the same area as Rooney's

In an ideal world it's not where you want him playing, but he's not wasted, and you have to make the best of what you have, and I believe Gerrard playing off Michael Owen's shoulder, like Rooney does, would be a more viable option than playing Crouch, who would perhaps still be best utilised a late substitute to unnerve defences

My argument is basically that the way Rooney plays means we often play 4-4-1-1 anyway, Gerrard brings different talents to the table to Rooney without doubt, but he's a better option than Crouch, I believe.

Some might argue that Gerrard and Lampard, with 40+ goals between them this season, are proven goalscorers, and you can bet they will certainly see a lot of the ball.

I hear what you are saying - but I disagree
Rooney often recieves the ball with his back to goal and playing in that position Gerrard will have to do the same and this does not suit his style of play at all. I would go for Joe Cole in that position if they are to try and replicate the Rooney postion which i think is unwise anyway.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
From the beeb's website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/4966604.stm

More than the one break if what he says is true. I think we should start planning for a WC without the boy wonder.
ah so frustrating, it messes up everything for England, in cricket where Hayden said the cricket team is overly dependent on Freddie some people may want to say that about the football team with Rooney.

Even without him England have enough quality players to get insparation & do well, but obviously hopes of winning have gotten a MAJOR blow.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Some might argue that Gerrard and Lampard, with 40+ goals between them this season, are proven goalscorers, and you can bet they will certainly see a lot of the ball.

I hear what you are saying - but I disagree
yea i disagree as well, i would go for either Lampard or Gerrard going foward.

Overall on current form presuming we have no Rooney, i would go for this XI in a 4-5-1 with defenders Neville/Terry/A Cole a must Campbell/Terry can battle for the other central defenisive position, Carrick has to play now he will do the holding role you will have Beckham & Joe on the wings & Lampard & Gerrard bursting through with Owen the only striker. Really that would be much safer & its still a powerful look without Rooney no doubt...

Robinson

Neville Terry Campbell A Cole

Carrick
Beckham J Cole

Lampard Gerrard

Owen

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
Actually, doesn't Chris Kirkland's dad stand to pocket £10k if he's ever not injured for long enough to make his debut for England too? What's the betting (ha!) Mr William Hill never has to stump that one up?! :p
More importantly, CCFC get £250k if he's still at Liverpool when it happens (and £250k if he plays 20 First team games - currently stuck on 19)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Pothas said:
John Terry is a superior player to Carragher. Charragher is far more reliable than Ferdinand though that is true
Ferdinand at his best is better than Carragher but true, the latter is more consistent.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Code:
                   Robinson

Neville    Terry       Ferdinand     A Cole

Carrick

Beckham         Gerrard             J Cole

Lampard       

Owen
This solves somewhat the Lampard/Gerrard playing together problem.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
roseboy64 said:
Code:
                   Robinson

Neville    Terry       Ferdinand     A Cole

Carrick

Beckham         Gerrard             J Cole

Lampard       

Owen
This solves somewhat the Lampard/Gerrard playing together problem.
hey i'd rather have both those 2 together and back them to complement each other rather picking one of the strikers any day..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
Ferdinand at his best is better than Carragher but true, the latter is more consistent.
Depends what you're looking for.

If it's someone who's got good distribution then yes, but if it's a pure defender, then no.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ferdinand is more talented than Carragher, but Carragher has outperformed him for two years, and this year he's performed as highly as Terry. Some say his pace is a worry, which could well be true, but I'd rather have Carragher in the team than Ferdinand because I know who would have his heart in it more

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
aussie said:
hey i'd rather have both those 2 together and back them to complement each other rather picking one of the strikers any day..
the thing is though their playing styles dont really complement each others at all..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
the thing is though their playing styles dont really complement each others at all..
well probably but i'd still risk it, England have nothing to lose..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Suggestion

Does nay one-think after the WC is over that England could adapt and be successful with a 3-5-2 formation?, i think so..

Firstly Neville could hold on to the RB role for a couple years but if he declines Carragher or an improving Young could replace him. Terry could be the lone central defender & Ash on the left.

The mid-field which is England strenght could be more powerful with Carrick playing in front of Terry in the holding role, Beckham maybe will still be around or Gerrard could go on the right, Lampard in the attacking mid-field role & Joe on the left. With other good back-up options from Aaron Lennon, Downing, improving Kevin Nolan & Parker.

Finally up front Rooney & Owen

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Except the World Cup 8-)
i didn't mean it like that, i'm saying that even though Lampard & Gerrard style of play from what we have seen don't complement each other that much, we are better of backing them to do it in the WC than go for not so go strikers to partner Owen up front.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Does nay one-think after the WC is over that England could adapt and be successful with a 3-5-2 formation?, i think so..

Firstly Neville could hold on to the RB role for a couple years but if he declines Carragher or an improving Young could replace him. Terry could be the lone central defender & Ash on the left.
1 centre half?

We may play that at the moment if Rio is on one of his away days, but I don't think so.

3-5-2 would only work with 3 centre halves, and Neville isn't good enough for the RWB spot IMO.