• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Squad

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well Guus is going to Russia after the World Cup, so who do you guys think should coach as after the WC, another overseas coach or local. Any of you guys know the coaching background of our current co-assistant coach Johan Neeskens?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
"the England under-21 international took a year long loan move to Oldham in 2004"

I think he'll wait until he's about 26 if he's still playing Premier League to see if he gets picked in the England team then use Australia as a last resort 8-)

We'll see though...

"Creative London-born, Australian-raised midfielder signed from Arsenal on a two-and-a-half year contract in January 2004. Made his Barclays Premiership debut for Blues in September 2005, only to be sent off for handling the ball on the goalline. The playmaker was a former captain of Queensland Boys, but returned to England in 1997 and signed for the Gunners five years later."http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?command=forwardOnly&nextPage=enPlayerProfile&playerId=269810
Just noticed that bit. I'm pretty sure you can't represent another country after playing under-21 or senior games for one.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
wow, just saw this, Kilkenny is a real gem, just looks so special on the ball.

IIRC he only played for England U20 btw

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
Just noticed that bit. I'm pretty sure you can't represent another country after playing under-21 or senior games for one.
Think they changed the rule a while back. Should be called "Cahill's law" 'cos he was the driving force in getting it changed. He played for Western Samoa Under-14s which debarred him from playing for the crims until the change.

It's a bit of a mess tho, with no consistency. Kanoute was allowed to play for Mali despite having played for France U-21s & Ben Thatcher (boo! hiss!) played for our U-21s (IIRC he was captain too) before playing full internationals for the Taffs courtesy of a Welsh grandfather, but JLloyd Samuel can't get permission for a switch to Trinidad now. I think FIFA's ruling was he's too old now (at 24) to switch. Which seems a bit tight.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Reference Samuel, there was a time when those over a certain age could switch.

Jlloyd only found this link after that age, so rules is rules...

Cloete

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Think they changed the rule a while back. Should be called "Cahill's law" 'cos he was the driving force in getting it changed. He played for Western Samoa Under-14s which debarred him from playing for the crims until the change.

It's a bit of a mess tho, with no consistency. Kanoute was allowed to play for Mali despite having played for France U-21s & Ben Thatcher (boo! hiss!) played for our U-21s (IIRC he was captain too) before playing full internationals for the Taffs courtesy of a Welsh grandfather, but JLloyd Samuel can't get permission for a switch to Trinidad now. I think FIFA's ruling was he's too old now (at 24) to switch. Which seems a bit tight.
No, he played for the Samoan Under-21's at 14 ;)

His mum is from there or has some connection from there and he was there on holiday with his family nad they asked hm if he wanted to play. You wouldn't exactly decline the opportunity to play a youth international, would you? ;)

Because of that he wasn't allowed to represent Aus until he won the case.

Dave: It was England Under-21's.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Blewy said:
Heard on the radio today that Killkenny has stated to Graham Arnold that he wants to play for Australia....

He has played a bit of 1st team football for Birmingham this season, so will be interesting...

I other news Mark Bosnich is reportedly taking a contract up with Conference Team Gray's Athletic... He has reportedly stated he wants to get back to the Premiership...
Don't use the G-word. Cheers.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be interested to see a bit more of Neeskens, I think he has the makings of a very good coach, plus he and Arnie work very well together...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd assume Neeskens is part of the Hiddink staff isn't he, so more likely to end up in Russia I'd think.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
I'd assume Neeskens is part of the Hiddink staff isn't he, so more likely to end up in Russia I'd think.
no hes not and i think Guus has even said that the FA should consider him as the next Australian manager...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Yes and no, he got signed mainly as the guy Hiddink wanted to leave behind once he left Australia.
Oh right, fair enough - you usually see a manager likes certain people around him so they come as a package, but fair play to him if he's brought someone in with that in mind.

Craig

World Traveller
steds said:
Craigos is Irish?
No I'm not, just like the thousands of people in this country who have the surname 'Jones' despite none of them/parents/grandparents come from Wales.

Though you can give me a pint of Kilkenny draught if you like.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Yakka Banovic. Yakka, giz a wave, Yakka Yakka giz a wave. Ahhh, memories of Division 3.
My only memories of Division 3 are things like a Phil Gee cracker and a Trevor Christie peno against Rotherham.

I've blotted out the rest.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
My only memories of Division 3 are things like a Phil Gee cracker and a Trevor Christie peno against Rotherham.

I've blotted out the rest.
My step father actually got me a season ticket for that season, but for some reason we didn't go to that match 8-) . Needless to say my mother divorced him soon afterwards. :cool:

He was one of those idiots who "supports" whoever is doing the best in the East Mids, consequently he took me to NF once or twice; horrid, just horrid, the memory of it is making me feel quite queer. I did get Lawrie McMenemy's autograph there though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
My step father actually got me a season ticket for that season, but for some reason we didn't go to that match 8-) . Needless to say my mother divorced him soon afterwards. :cool:

He was one of those idiots who "supports" whoever is doing the best in the East Mids, consequently he took me to NF once or twice; horrid, just horrid, the memory of it is making me feel quite queer. I did get Lawrie McMenemy's autograph there though.
I went to school in Nothingham, and went with a couple of pals to watch the scumbuckets a time or two. Great standing in the Florists ground telling my mates that Hector would have put that one away, or that Boulton would have saved that one. Lucky I didn't get chinned, I suppose.

Anyway, enough of this gay banter. I'm heading off for a few tears and a wallow in nostalgia as I watch 'The Baseball Ground - The Final Chapter' again. The day they tore the wonderful old ground down, a big part of me died.

Oh, back on topic - I believe James Meredith at the Derby County Academy is a bread-stealer. Is he any good?