• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FIFA World Cup Germany 2006

Craig

World Traveller
Memory is shady here but didn't Australia beat Brazil or at least get a good result (ie draw) against them in the Confed Cup back in 2001?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Memory is shady here but didn't Australia beat Brazil or at least get a good result (ie draw) against them in the Confed Cup back in 2001?
Yes, and came third overall. France beat Japan in the final.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Although realistically Australia have the ability to make the second round, I think they'll lose their group with one draw and two losses.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Should this thread be renamed to "Australian CW members clutching at straws..."?
May as well, before England go out because of the vegetable's managerial 'skills' then you can rename it Marc's lovefest dedicated to Sven.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
benchmark00 said:
Shattered.

Ahh well, guess i'll have to settle for the non African equivalent.

How about Burkina Faso? they snag a place? surely...
*cough* Trinidad and Tobago *cough*

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
I remember seeing Brazil play in that tournament and being unable to recognise any of their players - they were all given international experience so the Brazilians could flog them at huge prices to Europe.

Ok it wasnt as weak as I thought, but how can the Aussies say they can match Brazil if this was the opposition:

Dida, Ze Maria, Lucio, Edmilson, Gustavo Nery, Leandro, Vampeta, S Anderson, Robert, Carlos Miguel, Evanilson, Cesar Belli, Claudio Cacapa, Leo, Vagner, Rochemback, J Baptista, Ramon, Washington, Magno Alves, Fabio Costa

Of those I have only seen Dida, Ze Maria, Lucio, Edmilson, S Anderson, Rochemback and Baptista play - some side.

Vic_Orthodox said:
Should this thread be renamed to "Australian CW members clutching at straws..."?
Hit/Nail/Head

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
*cough* Trinidad and Tobago *cough*
Your guy Warner's a big pain. First it was the match against Bahrain now the England friendly. Geez. 8-) I understand his concerns but it's apparent our association doesn't care for his thoughts.

roseboy64

marc71178 said:
IMO there's probably much more chance of Australia beating Brazil then there is of anyone catching Chelsea.

I'd be shocked if anyone comes within 15 points of them.
It's a 38 game season. While I do think they'll win be prepared for a shock.

roseboy64

The Foxtrot said:
by the way just to let you all know,
Japan has tied with Brazil 1-1 before.
If we can beat Japan, then we have a chance of tieing against Brazil.
Who played for Brazil?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I can't help thinking the Aussies are seriously lacking in big-game experience. The likes of Japan and Croatia have been there plenty of times before. Not to mention being better teams than Australia to start with, albeit marginally. They'll definitely get smashed by Brazil though. :p
I think some people rate the Aussie team a little too low...we've beaten some decent teams of late, albeit in friendlies. Given that we rarely get to play with the big boys I think we'll go ok. Brazil have smashed us before, so we're experienced in that regard :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
It's a 38 game season. While I do think they'll win be prepared for a shock.
Get real - they're so far clear that the race has been for 2nd place since the first week in September.

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
hey yeah,
Brazil, 5 games played, 1 win to aus , 3 to brazil, 1 game tied. Most recent game June 2001 Confederations Cup Brazil 0 Australia 1, (and now we are alot better, we are under Hiddink arent we)

France, played 3 Aus win 1, France win 1, 1 draw Latest result, November 2001, France 1 Aus 1,
Confederations Cup, June 2001 Australia 1 France 0

England , played 2 Aus win 1, England win 1. Latest result Freindly 2003, Aus 3 England 1.

Cough on the facts u ignorant poms. the games we have lost to all these countries were way back in the 90s. Australia hasnt lost to these countries in the 21st century. These are the top seeded teams in the world!!!

Japan, played 10, Aus win three, Jap win 4 draw 3. Latest result AFC-OFC Challenge Aug 2001 Japan 3 Aus 0
Confederations Cup June 2001 Jap 1 Aus 0.
We may have not done a good job against Japan in those results, however doesnt mean we cant beat them.

We also have a world renowned coach Guus Hiddink who pulled off a similar thing with South Korea last World Cup. Now South Kore are still a strong team. As long as we forget about Farina`s tactical choices and stick to what Hiddink is teaching us we can pull this of.

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
benchmark00 said:
:laugh: Foxy.

We'll get smashed.
stop it!
i dotn want to hear any more of more negativitiness, its people like you who who make people like me go into anamatic depression.

I am going to keep believing and one day my dream will come true. I will beome superman, err.... i mean Socceroos will make the next round.

By the way Australians, have u seen the scheldule for the matches

Japan VS Australia (presuming it is the local time for the matches displayed)
12th June: Kaiserslautern; Local Time 15:00, EST 00:00

Brazil Vs Australia
18th June Munich; Local Time 18:00, EST 03:00

Croatia Vs Australia
22nd June Stuttgart; Local TIme 21:00; EST 06:00

People i want your opinions on the soccer, not whether or not you think NFL sucks or the socceroos going through. Please give you ideas on the winners and runners up of each group.

Last edited:

roseboy64

marc71178 said:
Get real - they're so far clear that the race has been for 2nd place since the first week in September.
IMO they've been challenged more this season compared to last ad it's very likely they won't win by more than 12 points. Sooner or later they'll meet up on teams who might be able to take points off them. Very possible also that Liverpool and Man Utd can continnue their recent form.