• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FIFA World Cup Germany 2006

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
Well it is a little early but the start to one of the greatest years of my life. Australia in the World Cup. Now all you Pommies out there, SHut the Hell up, because this is a big thing to us Australians. Anyway, i want to know what you think is going to happen. I dont want you to state the obvius and say Brazil is going to beat Croatia and stuff like that. And no bias in any thing like saying that Mexico is going to take the Cup home. Real thoughts.

And of course i will start:

I think that Australia, me being Australian, has a good chance of making through the first round, however, the need to play smart football and not revert to tactics that Frank taught them. I think under new coaching of Guus that Australia will be a similar story to South Korea 4 Years ago.
In their group the will lose to Brazil (or maybe pull off a tie if the Brazilians get ****y, which they probably wont) I say something like 2-0. Then beat Crotia, once again in a tight game. 1-0 Australia. However our problem is with Japan. The Japanese are very fast, very, very fast in their gaming style, however if the Aussies can slow play down and play their own game in their own time then they can pull off a very convinving win. final score 2-1 Australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Foxtrot said:
Well it is a little early but the start to one of the greatest years of my life. Australia in the World Cup. Now all you Pommies out there, SHut the Hell up, because this is a big thing to us Australians. Anyway, i want to know what you think is going to happen. I dont want you to state the obvius and say Brazil is going to beat Croatia and stuff like that. And no bias in any thing like saying that Mexico is going to take the Cup home. Real thoughts.

And of course i will start:

I think that Australia, me being Australian, has a good chance of making through the first round, however, the need to play smart football and not revert to tactics that Frank taught them. I think under new coaching of Guus that Australia will be a similar story to South Korea 4 Years ago.
In their group the will lose to Brazil (or maybe pull off a tie if the Brazilians get ****y, which they probably wont) I say something like 2-0. Then beat Crotia, once again in a tight game. 1-0 Australia. However our problem is with Japan. The Japanese are very fast, very, very fast in their gaming style, however if the Aussies can slow play down and play their own game in their own time then they can pull off a very convinving win. final score 2-1 Australia.
I was plaeased to see Australia qualify for the WC, but now they're there it presents me with somthing of a quandry: it sets my natural instinct of supporting the underdog against my equally natural instinct of wanting to see the crims get walloped in any & every sporting event....

I think Oz are up against it somewhat, Croatia are no mugs & Japan are (I think) ranked in or v near to the top 10.

As for the whole shebang I'd say Brazil (durr...) are clearly favourites, notwithstanding their fairly ordinary record in Europen hosted finals, with possibly ourselves just about 2nd. Italy will be hard to beat, but were fairly average in qualifying & yer Germans will beat everyone they should do.

If I had to name a dark-horse I'd say Holland, not much of a dark-horse, admittedly, but they do have a pretty stiff first round group.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Going to be a good 'un this year, Englands best chance in a long while but I think we'll be knocked out in the semi's. I have to say that Brazil will win itb once more,they are formidable at this moment especially with ronaldinho

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
I think we need to either change the thread title or have a new one.
Come on Dave, it's over 60 years since the end of WW2. I'm not crazy about the nation either, but it is being held there. Forgive & forget, eh? ;) :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
My two cents on the World Cup - England to lose to Italy in the semis, Rooney to come second only to Adriano in the goalscoring rankings, on his way to winning the 2006 World Player of the Year Award, ahead of the aforementioned Adriano and Ronaldinho.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
superkingdave said:
I think we need to either change the thread title or have a new one.
I think I'll wait for the WC forum - still 5+ months for anything to happen!

open365

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
My two cents on the World Cup - England to lose to Italy in the semis, Rooney to come second only to Adriano in the goalscoring rankings, on his way to winning the 2006 World Player of the Year Award, ahead of the aforementioned Adriano and Ronaldinho.
I doubt it,Rooney's a very good player,but i don't even see him being England's leading scorer.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:
Soccer = The name of the sport.
No, "Soccer" is the name given to football by others so lacking in imagination that they couldn't come up with an original name for their own sport -

e.g.

Rugby Football should be either 'bunch of southern puffs chasing an egg' or 'bunch of northern thugs chasing an egg' (depending on whether you can count to 15 or just 13)
Australian Rules Football should be 'Convictball'
American Football should be 'Armoured run a yard then stop for oxygenball'

open365

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
No, "Soccer" is the name given to football by others so lacking in imagination that they couldn't come up with an original name for their own sport -

e.g.

Rugby Football should be either 'bunch of southern puffs chasing an egg' or 'bunch of northern thugs chasing an egg' (depending on whether you can count to 15 or just 13)
:-O

I'd have you know i'm from Liverpool and i play rugby and am not a thug....so there...Derbyshire sucks...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
:-O

I'd have you know i'm from Liverpool and i play rugby and am not a thug....so there...Derbyshire sucks...
Sorry - name withdrawn, replaced with:

'Bunch of northern hubcap-collectors trying to steal an egg'

/always willing to please

Tom Halsey

International Coach
luckyeddie said:

e.g.

:laugh:

Top post.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
:laugh:

Top post.
Seconded.

open365 said:
I doubt it,Rooney's a very good player,but i don't even see him being England's leading scorer.
I believe he was in Euro 2004 - or he was joint with Lampard anyway. And he also averages a goal every other game this season. If he nets a couple against T&T he'll be in with just as much of a shot as Owen or anyone else at the Golden Boot.