17-04-2007, 04:23 AM
First Class Debutant
Join Date: Mar 2007
Originally Posted by shehanwije
It’s a tight call on the Lankan decision – but one clear outcome is that its def. got under the Aussies skin….their players (listen to Symonds post match interview) and ex players (Ian Chappell, Ian Heally, O’Donnell), and public etc are pretty cheesed off and hopping mad as their victory is hollow and they have learnt nothing….so, in the mind games stakes SL 1, Aus 0.
This could end up as a brilliant tactical move, but first we have to win the semi and get to the final. Otherwise, the team will take a pounding for this decision.
Overall, the situation that has evolved could be summed up in the plus and minus points below:
1. We have played with the Aus mindset and won this one hands down, as Aus are still not sure of the value of their win.
2. Malinga and Murali (and even Vaas) are still unknown factors in these conditions to the Aussies
3. We take on NZ (who we beat in S8), rather than RSA who we lost to in S8
4. SL top order is still suspect, but the rest took Tait, Macgrath and Clarke/Symonds (60% of Aus attack) for plenty of runs.
5. Mahela and Chamara batted themselves into form against Aus attack and almost took the game away (167/3 looked so good from 27/3)…Even Maharoof can take something from his knock
6. The Aussies bats cannot take anything away as they have not faced the real SL attack
7. Murali & Vass get a rest
8. We have lost, but still won!
1. Aussies are cheesed off for being tactically out-classed and may use this as motivation in final
2. Bowling out Aus cheaply with Malinga, Murali & Vass would have given a confidence boost
3. If we won, we could have played at St Lucia’s which suits us better than Sabina Park
4. We missed an opp to carry the psycological advantage against the Aussies going into the final
Given the impact on this surprise tactic by the Lankans, I would not be surprised if NZ follow suit on Fri against Aus and rest some key players.
The Batting let them down.....
Not sure how much Murli and Vass would have affected that